Exploring the sense and nonsense of food and health

Can You Trust Your “Nutritionist”?



Nutrition (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

From the UK comes a good article about “nutritionists'” – an inexact title there and in the U.S.  There are licensing laws in a majority of states to protect the medical consumer but many are not enforced or  vaguely stated with lots of loopholes.   You can trust a registered dietitian (many with advanced degrees)  or someone with an advanced degree in nutrition science from an accredited university.  Check out credentials carefully.  Ask your physician for a referral.


Enhanced by Zemanta

8 thoughts on “Can You Trust Your “Nutritionist”?

  1. This is a WordPress Blog


  2. Dietitians in the UK need to have a degree or post grad qualification in dietetics and be registered with the Health Professions Council, an organisation which regulates health professionals and ensure we follow strict codes of conduct and professionalism. We also need to keep up with our profession by evidencing we are continuing to learn by continuous professional development, we are assessed on this. It can be quite tough as regulations are rigorous. I will also be writing about this topic because in the area I practice we have a number of unregulated Nutritionists and patients are generally less aware and will have blood tests for food intolerances, which are not specific or accurate, leading to cases of malnutrition as a result of food exclusions. Will keep you up to date!


  3. Thanks for the thumbs up. And thanks for the information from the UK. Was wondering if you had similar criteria as we have with the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND). I’m still not use to the new name. I am working on another post about this topic – stay tuned!


  4. Again a good post – the more responsible Nutritionists in the UK need to be registered with the Nutrition Society and have a recognised degree. The Nutrition Society insists on 2 years of practice prior to registration. Some Nutritionists have very similar training to dietitians except for hospital placement (e.g. training to treat patients) they usually work in healthy eating and health promotion. I would be a little wary of the title ‘holistic’. Would you mind if I linked to your post when I add an explanation of this to my blog?
    Thank you!


  5. Sarah:
    Thanks for the clarification – I too have attended both. I think your work in child nutrition is greatly needed. I encourage people to visit your Twitter account as I certainly did appreciate your tweets and food ideas. Thanks again for the comment.


  6. Good info! I wish more people knew this!


  7. Pingback: MICRODERMABRASION AT MICHIGAN MEDICAL SPA Hydrolyze – Revitalizing Under Eye Treatment - Revitalizes skin for anti aging

  8. It should be noted that education on nutrition is valid from both universities AND colleges. I have an allopathic nutrition and foods management diploma from one college and a specialized applied holistic nutrition diploma from a separate graduate program. I agree there are a lot of people out there making it sound like they’re nutrition experts but as your diagram illustrates, there are so many aspects to it that good nutritionists AND dietitians usually specialize in a few areas to give the best care possible (for instance I specialized in special dietary needs and child/youth nutrition and use a practical, hands-on approach to improving the eating habits of others through shopping and cooking instruction).


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s