A great summary and interactive graph of how the standard American diet (SAD) has changed over the years since 1970.
- Consumption of yogurt, oil, and cheese is up which translates to higher calories (about 23% higher than in 1970)
- This increase in calories is mainly in the form of sugar, fats, and carbs.
- To breakdown this increase further, this means we consume more flour and cheese. Cheese is everywhere (fast foods, pizza, salads).
- Flour is from burritos, pasta, muffins, most snack foods etc. etc.
- So it looks like our carbohydrate intake is still primarily refined carbs, not whole grains even though whole grains are claimed on almost every food label.
- Oils are often hidden in most processed foods (soybean oil, e.g.)
- We eat out more often and are presented with large portions (small plates, please!)